Thursday, July 05, 2012

Mayday

I have been learning a lot of things about specific Sanpete culture.  One of the major local events is the annual Mayday performances put on by the elementary school.  Everyone in town shows up!  Everyone makes sure they look their best, and the kids work hard for weeks to perfect their dances.  This is big-time around here. This year Andrew's kindergarten did a Hawaiian dance and Joshua's 3rd grade did the parachute dance.  It is fun to see the kids do these dances that are so traditional and have been performed for literally generations.  One nice thing is that they have bent the rules and use contemporary music which keeps things lively and fun for the kids.
I helped sew maypole ribbons for the 4th graders this year as well, so I guess we all got involved in the tradition!

Sorry about the fuzzy pics.  My ipad doesn't have a flash  --  really?!  someone needs to ream mac about that -- anyway, Joshua is in the white shirt with blue shorts.  He really worked the dance moves!


No comments: